Algonquins of Pikwakanagan

Band Representation

Anishinabek Gamik Child & Family Services

Band Representatives are located within Anishinabek Gamik Child & Family Services office at 1467 Mishomis Inamo.

Randi-Lee Lamure, Band Representative
Phone: 613-625-2173 ext. 223
Email: ac.na1674856253ganak1674856253awkip1674856253@sfc.16748562531noit1674856253never1674856253p1674856253

Alexandra Freed, Band Representative
Phone: 613-625-2160
Email: ac.na1674856253ganak1674856253awkip1674856253@sfc.1674856253rgm1674856253

Emails will be answered within 24 hours


What are Band Representatives?

Band Representatives act on behalf of children and families with all child welfare matters within Algonquins of Pikwakanagan jurisdiction. Band Representatives provide support to families going through any process with any child welfare organization.

We cannot provide support for those with family law matters or criminal matters, however we can refer you to someone who does.


What do Band Representatives do?

  • Provide families with a clear understanding of the legal process and of all options for care,
  • Educate families on the Child and Family Services Act and Part 4 of the Child and Family Services Act,
  • Ensure children and families understand their rights,
  • Advocate for the best interest of the child, and ensure that customary care is the first option for placement,
  • Collaborate with Family & Child Services of Renfrew County and other agencies to develop care plans (including recommendations),
  • Attend home visits in person or by phone while a Child Welfare Worker is in the home,
  • Take part in Alternate Dispute Resolutions or Talking Together Circles in person or by phone or video chat,
  • And collaboratively ensure that a culturally appropriate placement takes place.


What are their limitations?

  • Band Representatives cannot aid in family law or criminal matters. They can refer you to someone who can assist with these matters.
    • Band Representatives cannot get involved in child custody visitations.
  • Band Representatives cannot intervene if a child is at risk. They can advocate for the children to remain with family or community (customary care).
  • Band Representatives cannot help with completing paperwork that is not child welfare related.


What is Customary Care?

Customary Care is a placement that allows a child’s extended family and community to assume responsibility for their care and safety. Customary Care is always the preferred pathway Band Representatives because:

  • It reinforces the value of community systems of care,
  • It promotes continued connection to the child’s community, culture, land, and language,
  • It  promotes a positive sense of cultural identity,
  • And gives children a strong sense of value and belonging.


What is Alternative Dispute Resolution?

Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) is a strategy for resolving child welfare disputes in a way that minimizes or avoids court involvement. ADR encourages the involvement of the family, extended family, and community in the planning and decision-making for children.

Talking Together Circles are a traditional method of ADR that involved an impartial facilitator (Elder) who can assist participants to develop a plan to address concerns identified.